Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Afraid

In What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen the main character Mclean moves around a lot. Due to this she tries to not get emotionally attached to anyone. But this all changes when she meets Dave. Mclean and Dave don't have your typical relationship. Dave is level headed genius who would do anything for anyone. While Mclean keeps herself at a distance, able to take care of herself. However, once Dave and Mclean continue to run into each other, mainly due to them being neighbors, things just begin to feel right. This scares Mclean because in the back of her head she knows that soon this will all come to an end, just like everything has before. One song that I believe Mclean could relate to is Afraid, by Vanessa Hudgens. The song talks about a girl being scared of falling in love again and in result getting it broken, so instead she decides to just retreat. This is the same thing that Mclean does in the book. The song says, "Just when it's getting good, I slowly start to freeze. Just when it's feeling real I put my heart to sleep. It's the memory I can see. Then this fear comes over me". In the book when Mclean realizes that Dave does in fact like her she then starts to back away because she realizes she does have real feelings for this boy. In the end she went with her heart and even though it was scary she decided to let her self fall hard for Dave.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Macie, I really enjoyed the topic of this blog. I read this book last quarter, and I really found that I related to Mclean's character by how afraid she was to get close to people. I didn't like this book as well as others that I had read, but I liked the realness of Mclean's character. You did a good job of explaining her character's fear in this post. Did you like the book as well as the others you read? Did you relate to Mclean in anyway? I have never heard the song you mentioned by Vanessa Hudgens, but now I'll have to go look it up. From the lyrics that you wrote about, it connects to Mclean perfectly. I was happy in the end that Mclean was able to let go of her fear and fall for Dave. I was rooting for them the entire time, were you? I had a feeling they would be together. Great post, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you incorporated the lyrics of a song into this blog post. It really enhances it. This book sound a bit like the typical love story, but I think I'd still give it a shot.
    -Melissa Chyan from Fremd High.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Macie, I'm Sarah Przybyla from Fremd! I really liked this blog post! I read this book not too long ago, and I thought that Mclean's character was very real. She was really relatable, unlike so many other characters in books, and I also agree that those lyrics relate to Mclean very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I'm Allison from Fremd! I loved this blog post. I think that it's super cool how at Carbondale you guys compare books to songs. It's really cool to compare it. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey I'm Jenavieve from Fremd High School. This book sounded really good! Any book written by Sarah Dessen cannot be a failure and I might actually want to read this book! Being able to connect to other things like you did can really come in handy and also make you understand something better. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Macie, I'm Jacquelyn from Fremd. I read this book and actually wrote a blog on it for my April book blog. I definitely liked the book and I liked Mclean's character a lot. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I'm Jamey from Fremd. I've always loved Sarah Dessen and I've been really looking forward to reading this book. I too moved and so now I can't wait to pick it up on my next book run!

    ReplyDelete